Writing An Impressive Application Essay- Instructions From An Expert
When it is time to start filling out those college applications, you will find out that most of them require you to write an essay. This is because it is the easiest way to get to know you. The members of the board read through hundreds even thousands of application depending on the school. They see demographic information, test scores, extracurricular activities, and grades. None of which explain or demonstrate who you are. This information is great for the weeding out process. They may start by separating the applications using grades and test scores, but then they are still stuck with a huge pile of applications.
The application essay is what is going to get you in if your grades are decent. These colleges are looking for students that are going to succeed and perform at the top of their class. Here are the best ways to ensure that the paper that you write impresses the right people so that you can get into the college of your choice.
- Be sure to stay positive. You should not write about your short comings. Instead focus on the things that you do well.
- Tell the truth and not what you think that they want to hear.
- Don’t play to their ego by saying that you want to get into the best school. They know that you want to get into their school because you are applying there and they probably believe they are the best school as well. This is really just a waste of valuable space that could be used to promote you and your skills.
- Proofread your work. A lot of people are so quick to get their paper done that they forget the most important step which is to make sure that you edit your paper. You want to show them that you can write a solid paper.
- Talk about something that will set you apart from the other candidates. The board will likely read through several hundred papers. You want your paper to stand out. If you don’t give them something to remember you by, you will get lost in the maybe pile somewhere.
Put some time and effort showing your personality with this paper. Let it shine through the words and give them a good perception of who you are and what your goals are in life besides just getting into that college.